Max Y. Liu, B.S., M.S., PhD, M.D. (China)
L.Ac., Dipl.Ac., Dipl.C.H.
Dr. Liu earned his M.D./PhD from Beijing University of Chinese Medicine in 1996. He was an attending physician in internal medicine at First Hospital of Beijing University of Traditional Chinese Medicine. He has been active in researching atherosclerosis for 13 years, and finished his first postdoctoral training in Tshinghua University in 1998. He received a patent for his atherosclerosis treatment in China in 1998, and came to Columbia University as Associate Research Scientist in 1999 for hyperlipidemia (high fat/lipid concentration in the blood) and atherosclerosis (disease of the arteries).
Dr. Liu is also a professor of Traditional Chinese Medicine at Pacific College of Oriental Medicine, NYC. He has written chapters for five books, was the chief editor of Internal Medicine - Chinese Medicine and has published 20 papers related to his clinial and biomedical research.
Professor: Pacific College of Oriental Medicine
Acupuncturist: Dipl Ac (National Certification Commission for Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine)
Herbologist: C.H. (NCCAOM)
Associate Research Scientist: Columbia University
B.S. Shan Dong University of Chinese Medicine
M.S., M.D., PhD Beijing University of Chinese Medicine
Member of American Heart Association
Member of Beijing Science and Technology Society, P.R. China
Member of Chinese Medicine and Pharmacy, P.R. China.
1. Richard Wood, Jeff S. Volek, Yanzhu Liu, Neil S. Shachter, John H. Contois and Maria Luz Fernandez. Carbohydrate Restriction Alters Lipoprotein Metabolism by Modifying VLDL, LDL, and HDL Subrfraction Distribution and Size in Overweight Men. J. Nutr. 136:384-389, February 2006.
2. Yanzhu Liu, Lin Yang, Karin Conde-Knape, Dirk Beher, Mark S. Shearman and Neil S. Shachter. Fatty acids increase presenilin-1 levels and Y-secretase activity in PSwt-1 cells. Journal of LIpid Research, Vol. 45, 2368-2376, December 2004.
3. Tetsu Ebara, Karin Conde, Yuko Kako, Yanzhu Liu, Yan Xu, rajesekhar Ramakrishnan, Ira J. Goldberg, and Neil S. Shachter. Delayed catabolism of apoB-48 lipoproteins due to decreased haparan sulfate proteoglycan production in diabetic mice. J. Clin. Invest. 2000 105:1807-1818.
4. Liu Y.Z. Luo G.A., Long ZX, Shen Z.W. The effect of several plants on cell cycle and proliferation and of vascular smooth muscle cells. Journal of Tsinghua University, 2000, 40(6), 13-16.
5. Liu Y.Z., Dong M., and Shen Z.W. Effects of Emodin on proliferation of vascular smooth muscle cells. Tsinghua Science and Technology (English), Vol. 4, No. 3, 1999, 1515-1523.
6. Dong M., Liu, Y.Z., and Chen G.Y., Inhibition of the proliferation of resveratol on liver cancer cells. Journal of Chinese Medicine and Pharmacy, Vol 56, 1999, 123-130.
7. Dong M. Liu Y.Z., and Gong Y.D., Hepatic Bel-7402 cells proliferate on different charged phospholipids. Tsinghua Science and Technology (English), Vol. 4, No. 3, 1999, 1489-1494.
8. Liu Y.Z., Luo G.A., Shen Z.W. Inhibition effect of Emodin to smiooth muscle cells proliferation. ACTA Biophysica Sinica, 1998, 14(2): 240-244.
9. Liu Y.Z., Luo G.A., The co-origin of Western medicine and Chinese medicine on the physiological and pathological changes. Journal of Chinese Medicine, 1997, 11:11-6.
10. Liu Y.Z. Qin L.M., Lu W.A., et al. Effects of one bioactive component from medical plant on lipid oxidation in patients with lipemia. Journal of Beijing University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, 1997; 20(3):50-51.
11. Liu Y.Z., Jiang H.R. The treatment of carotid atherosclerotic plaques by one Chinese herb. China Journal of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Pharmacy, 1997; 6:50-51.
12. Liu Y.Z. The application of the co-origin of Western medicine and Chinese medicine on the physiological and pathological changes in clinic. Journal of Chinese Medicine, 1997, 12:25-6.
13. Liu, Y.Z. Zang-Fu organ theory and hyperlipemia. Journal of Beijing University of Traditional Chinese Medicine, 1996; 19(5): 15-17.
14. Liu Y.Z. Treatment of sinus bradycardia by a medicinal plant. Popular Medicine (international). 1995; 2:22-24.
15. Guo W.Q., Liu Y.Z. Experimental study reviewer on Sick Sinus Syndrome. Journal of Beijing College of Traditional Chinese Medicine, 1993; 5:2-7.
16. Lu W.X., Guo W.Q., Yu W.J., Liu Y.Z. Clinical research on Sick Sinus Syndrome. Journal of Beijing College of Traditional Chinese Medicine, 1993; 5:32-35.
1. The treatment of angina pectoris by Shu Xiao Jiu Xin Wan. Chinese pharmacy Association, Beijing, China, 1994.
2. The treatment of coronary diseases by integrated medicine the 4th Konoko Shin-Atsu-Shin Ryodo Symposium meeting, Tokyo, Japan, 1995.
1) The application of the co-origin of Western medicine and Chinese medicine on the physiological and pathological changes in clinic.
2)The importance of modernization in Chinese herbs, The development strategy meeting of Chinese National Scientific Research, Beijing, China, 1997.
3. Effect and mechanism on cellular calcium concentration of macrophage by hIL-6. The 8th annual meeting of Chinese Biophysics Association, Chengdu, China, 1998.
1. On guard against the silent killer: Hypertension. Chapter five, Science and Technology Publishing House, 1993.
2. Therapy and differentiation of diseases by Chinese medicine. Chapter two, Science and Technology Publishing House.
3. The Practical Gynecology Encyclopedia of Integrated Traditional Chinese and Western Medicine. chapter three, Beijing Science and Technology Publishing House, 1995.
4. Practical manual of chinese medicine, Chapter three. Chinese health Publishing House, 1999.